Intramurals FAQ

What are intramurals?
Intramurals are a type of recreational sport. They are leagues set up to provide competition between students, faculty, and staff in a variety of different traditional and non-traditional sports. You sign up your team with your friends, residence hall, fraternity, sorority or classmates, and we provide the leagues, the space, the officials and the equipment. For individual sports such as racquetball, trivia, bracket busters, etc., you sign yourself up and we provide the rest.

Does it cost to play?
All intramural activities, unless otherwise noted, are free to all students, faculty, and staff within the Colleges of the Fenway. The only event that has a fee associated is the Turkey Trot (5 canned goods to be donated to the Greater Boston Food Bank).

How do I sign up?
All event registrations, unless otherwise noted, are done through All participants will need to go to and create an account in order to register for events. Use Colleges of the Fenway as your school. It is free to create an account and only takes a minute.

Does everyone on my team have to be from the same institution?
No. In fact, it is encouraged that you make teams with students, faculty, and staff from different institutions. All students, faculty and staff must be from one of the six COF institutions (Emmanuel, MCPHS University, MassArt, Simmons, Wheelock or Wentworth).

What do I do if I can’t find anyone else to form a team with, but I still want to play?
If you are a free agent looking for a team to play on, you can create an account on the online registration page ( and once you create an account, you can sign up as a free agent. Once you are on the site, you will also be able to see which teams are looking for more players and you can contact the captains to join those teams as well.

What if there is a sport I am interested in, but it isn’t offered?
Send an e-mail to Brad Tittrington and let him know what sports and activities you would like to see in the upcoming semester. Due to limited gym and field space, not all requests can be accommodated.

Do I have to have experience in order to play?
No. Intramurals are open to everyone of every skill level. A and B leagues are offered to give those who want more competition and for those who want to be recreational.

Are there practices?
Unlike varsity and club sports, intramurals are less rigid. Teams may choose to get together and practice, but there is no mandatory practice for participation. Due to limited field space and gym space, practice times are not available to be scheduled through the intramural office.

Can I play on more than 1 team?
Participants may play on one single-gender team and one co-rec team. Players may not play on 2 single-gender teams or they will be suspended and the team will forfeit any games in which they used an ineligible player.

Can women play in the open league?
Yes. Open leagues (previously men’s leagues) are open to everyone and there are no gender restrictions.

I would like to be more involved in intramurals. How do I go about this?
We are always looking for a few good men and women to help officiate, supervise, and scorekeep our intramural events. The pay is $11/hr and you don’t need experience. You can e-mail Brad Tittrington if you would like to apply for a job.

What is the difference between intramural sports, extramural sports, and club sports?
Intramural sports are events which take place within a certain institution. Each event is usually held once a week and there are no mandatory practices. Extramural Sports are an extension of intramurals and teams will play other teams from other insitutions. The regional flag football and basketball tournaments are an example of an extramural sport. Club sports are a level above intramurals and a level below varsity athletics. They require more time and travel and often cost money to participate. Teams normally form and play schools from across the country in different leagues.

Does COF have a club sports program?
The COF currently does not have a club sports program. Many of the schools have club teams which allow students from other schools to compete on them (rugby and ultimate frisbee at WIT are examples). Due to limited field and gym space, the COF currently is unable to start any additional clubs.